4.07.2006

Pigeonholing

So I was in the world music section of the CDs at Borders looking for this, which is good! Finnish fiddling.

But world music is not well organized. It goes Celtic, French, Gypsy, Spain/Portugal, Eastern Europe, Middle East, Indian Subcontinent, Far East, Various Artists, Reggae. So it took me a long time to find the two Scandinavian discs wedged in at the front. And I had to flip through lots of other ones first, giving me plenty of time to notice the horrific self-labeling like, Klezmer Juice, Belly Dance Zone, and Celtic Mystery vol. 2. But the best title that I ran across by far was Lullabies from the Axis of Evil.

2 Comments:

At 14/4/06 01:27, Blogger Mike said...

I actually have Lullabies from the Axis of Evil -- it was a gift, and the album's goal is to make those people in the Axis of Evil seem a little more human. Musically, it is somewhat over-produced for my tastes.

 
At 14/4/06 07:13, Blogger KT said...

Yeah, yeah -- the point is clearly that if there are lullabies, there must be children and people who care enough to sing to them. I just think they should stand on their own without having to reference the administration's absurdly inaccurate statement. Makes the whole thing more tragicomic. And I would kind of be interested in hearing them, over-produced or no.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home